Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year

Right now, I'm taking a short break while studying, and since all my other friends have/will put up a CNY post, why can't I? Well, the Russians don't celebrate CNY so... they have set up our First Sem exam within 2 days time. So exam fever is running it's full course and we're not in enough mood to actually celebrate. Quite sad really, since firecrackers and fireworks are legal here.


They actually sell them openly at the supermarket during the Christmas/New Year season.

Now that the CNY post is done, time for another Short, True Story from Russia.

Well, last Thursday, after buying my groceries from the supermarket called LENTA, to be pronounced in BM, I was waiting at the bus stop when an middle aged lady walked into view and surprised me. She walked towards the rubbish bin holding a small cardboard box, bent down and started sifting through the snow in the bin. As she was doing so, I was thinking, 'This is the first time I have actually seen a poor person here in Russia. How torturous it must be that you have to search in the bins in the open just to make a living. And I'm here, so far from my homeland to study, with money provided by my parents. I'm not studying hard enough. I must study hard in order not to end up amongst the poor in the future nor to waste my parent's hard earned money in the first place.' I pondered on the morality of taking the picture of a person in such a pitiful situation in order to make a screen saver to give me more studying spirit. As I decided to take out my cameraphone to take a picture of her, she got up, and tossed the contents of her box into the bin, and went back to her shop which was 15 metres away.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Well, God has many humorous ways to make a good moral story for all of us.

1 comment:

The Skatemusicianer said...

Haha..nice story man.. well, at least you have compassion, that is important in being a doc..take care!